The loss of hair on the scalp is common to both men and women. In order to restore the thickness and fullness of hair in the areas where the balding has occurred on the scalp, patients often turn to a hair transplant to restore the appearance of the hairline. Hair restoration surgery moves hair grafts from the donor area on the head (usually the back or sides of the scalp) and places them in incisions made in the scalp by a surgeon. If there is not enough donor hair on the back or sides of the scalp, the surgeon can take hair grafts from others areas of the body. Once the hair grafts are placed in the scalp, the hair will grow and provide patients with the thick, full hairline they desire. In addition to a fuller head of hair, there are other benefits that come from undergoing a hair transplant.
Six Benefits of Having a Hair Transplant
- Natural Appearance – The final appearance of the hair after a person undergoes a hair transplant is natural and the fact that the patient had a hair restoration procedure cannot be detected by the average person. Older hair transplant methods provided patients with a “pluggy” appearance that was obvious in appearance and was unnatural in its look. Thanks to the advances achieved in hair transplant technology and new hair restoration techniques, the hair that is transplanted on the scalp has a natural appearance to others. In many cases, patients can enjoy the same appearance with their hairline that they had before they started to lose the hair on their scalp.
- Improved Appearance – The return of hair on the scalp gives patients a full appearance of hair on the head as well as an overall feeling that they have an improved look to the hairline on the scalp.
- Increased Self-Confidence – Patients that experience balding often try to their cover their hair loss by wearing a hat so others will not be able to notice the balding areas on the scalp. Hair transplant techniques such as FUE and FUT enable patients to enjoy life with a fuller hairline by filling in the areas of the scalp that have a balding appearance. Patients also enjoy a renewed sense of confidence and a better self-image thanks to the changes in their hairline.
- No Side Effects – There are some common conditions, such as bruising and swelling and pinkish discoloration, that patients can expect to experience after their surgery. These conditions will fade and there are essentially no side effects to worry about after a hair transplant. Any type of pain that is experienced after the surgery can normally be handled by mild painkillers.
- Permanent Results – Medications such as Propecia and Rogaine stimulate the regrowth of hair on the scalp. The results from the use of both of these products are not permanent. Once a person stops using Rogaine or Propecia on a regular basis, the patient will eventually start to lose the results seen on the scalp and the return of the original appearance of the hairline before the use of minoxidil (Rogaine) or finasteride (Propecia). The results of a hair transplant are permanent and patients enjoy a lifetime of results from the procedure.
- Save Money in the Long Run – Since the results from minoxidil and finasteride are not permanent, patients must be prepared to budget the money they need to purchase either product on a regular basis. While a hair transplant requires a person to spend a larger amount of money at one time, the price that is paid is a one-time only expense on the part of the patient. The need to pay for the hair transplant in one payment is better in the long run because the payment is finished as opposed to the monthly expense of Rogaine or Propecia. Plus, the results of a hair transplant last a lifetime so there is no need for “monthly maintenance” on the part of the patient.
Hair Transplant Benefits Begin by Scheduling a Consultation Appointment
Patients interested in enjoying the lifetime benefits of a hair transplant should schedule a consultation appointment with a board-certified surgeon that is experienced in performing various hair transplant techniques. The hair transplant surgeon will examine the scalp of a patient in order to identify the reasons for the hair loss. Once the doctor knows why the hair loss is occurring, he or she can choose the best hair transplant method to provide patients with their desired final results. The surgeon will also set realistic expectations so the patient will know the type of results that can be expected after the procedure. The consultation appointment also allows the surgeon to determine if there is enough available donor hair on the back or sides of the scalp to use for the surgery. If the donor area of the scalp does not have enough quality hair grafts, the surgeon can use hair grafts from other areas of the body to achieve the desired thickness and fullness patients want from the hair transplant.